Once a week, wipe your hat with a sponge, and when it starts to get loaded with
trail dust, have it blocked and cleaned by a professional.
- When putting on a hat, the bow inside signifies the back of the hat.
- For a snap brim you can put the hat on and then gently run your fingers around the
front of the brim to "snap" it down.
- When entering a building or place of business you should remove your hat,
with few exceptions.
- In a large building, with an elevator, you should remove
your hat before entering an elevator unless it is crowded. If it is - leave your hat
on until you step off of the elevator.
- Allways remove your hat at a restaurant. You may keep it with you as a
safety precaution or leave on the coat rack or with the coat check.
- To tip you hat as a gesture of "hello" you touch the brim and incline your
head slightly in the direction of the person you are acknowledging.
- For that special person or a person of authority you should remove your hat completely.
To do that you gently grasp the top of the hat, raise it slightly off of you head, tilt your
head in their direction and then place the hat back onto your head.
- Ladies may wear their hat indoors as these hats are considered a fashion
accessory and therefore do not have to be removed.
- If you have to bow to a dignitary you should always remove your hat by the brim
and as you bow, with a sweeping motion bring it across in front of you. Women, once again,
do not have to follow this procedure, just as they do not bow.
HAT TIPS FOR WOMEN
It is the opinion of everyone here at Shushan's that you should wear what you like.
Hats should be fun! But - here's what the fashion experts say:
- Petite women should wear small brimmed, small crowned hats.
- If you want to look taller, go for a little higher crown with a slope crease.
- Tall women should wear wider brimmed, shorter crowned hats.
- Full figured women should avoid high crowns and go with curled brims and
- If you have a long face, put a big curl in your brim and keep away from
- If you have a round face, go with a higher crown, but stay away from
- If you have a triangular face, go with a small brim with a big roll and a
- If you have a square face, try a peaked crown and a curled brim, and wear
your hat at an angle.
- If you have an oval face, you've got the perfect face for any hat you
want to wear.
- Whatever way you go, never wear your hat on the back of your head. Tilt
it, pull it down, or wear it straight.